Sunday, June 7, 2009

Letters


Dear flatmates,
I love you, but please remember that there are 5 of us who need to shower on Sunday mornings, and not enough hot water for everyone to take 20 minute showers. Also please know that I love you, but I hate cold showers more than just about anything. And that sounds like hyperbole, but really. I mean it. I hate them.

Dear Rexburg weather,
Being from the Pacific Northwest, I don't mind a steady rainfall now and again. But when I've been hungering for summer for months and when my only form of transportation is a motorcycle, I grow impatient for sunshine. Could you please send some as soon as possible? Thanks.

Dear that boy,
I'm stressing out over you more than I should, I think. But I'm not sure how I feel about you, or really who you are even, or what the best course of action is.

Dear Jacob and Nancy,
I'm so excited to do a scene with you! I haven't the faintest idea what I'm getting into, but I don't particularly care. My acting muscle desperately needs flexing, and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to do so with such ridiculously wonderful talent! I hope our script is good. But even if it's not, I'm doing it anyway.

Dear Tech Theatre class,
I've enjoyed you, and I'm grateful for the friends I've made because of you. But it will be a relief to get you over with and not have to worry about you anymore.

Dear Jessica,
Someday I'll explain to you just how much your compliment means to me. While I'm learning to "come what may, and love it," there are still times that it hurts so much to not be where you are right now. Just knowing that I've made some sort of lasting impression...knowing that it's different because I was there...that's all I needed. That's all I've longed for since 2005. If I can't be there, all I ever wanted was to have made a difference that people know about and appreciate. That sounds so...self-centered, but that place has been so much a part of shaping my identity that it means to world to me to know that I've had some small part in shaping it's identity too, no matter how tiny.

Dear Spring Semester 2009,
Where the heck have you gone?

Dear that girl,
I had the recent startling experience of realizing that it could work between you two. But if you are not serious...if your romantic irresponsibility allows him to bust his heart up again, I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from saying something accusatory and mean to you this time. Don't you dare continue to allow yourself to be an instrument in his emotional torture.

Dear Jacob,
Just wanted to let you know again...you're so talented, it's alarming.

Dear BYU-Idaho,
I grumble sometimes, but I really am so grateful for and madly in love with you. I can't even begin to number the blessings I daily receive by being here. I mean, an apostle of God is speaking directly to us for our weekly devotional this week! We are so blessed and privileged, it's ridiculous. I sometimes can't believe that I'm a part of it.

Dear Beckah,
3 DAYS, 7 HOURS, AND 52 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear The Powers That Be,
Thank you for blessing me beyond my capacity to receive. Thank you for what I know, where I am, what I'm doing, and who I am with. My life is at times beyond any beauty I could have imagined for it.

And lastly,
Dear Jenny Mae, Jillian, and Addison,
It was good to see you today, if only for a few minutes. I'm excited to get to know you all and see you perform for the rest of the summer! See you this weekend! I'm grateful for things like this.



Love, Liz

1 comment:

  1. Dear Liz,

    Despite showing me as Petey, this is actually Jacob, and I'm pleased as punch to do a scene with you too! I did a scene with Jenny for one of Hyrum's classes a couple semesters back and she talked a lot about the awesome madness of her roommates--you especially--which makes me think we'll work together with dramatic awesomeness! It's exciting to work on theatre material when you know how capable your fellow players are!

    anxiously looking forward,
    Jacob

    ReplyDelete