Monday, June 18, 2018

Goals, a belated report

Those of you who know me well and/or follow this blog, know that I'm a goal and list oriented person. I've been doing this thing for the past few years, where instead of New Year's resolutions, I make goals at my birthday. This "31 Things" report is well overdue, but I was sort of preoccupied with other things until now. So here it is.


Okay, look. So this was the year I got divorced. I was just in survival mode for a lot of this year, so I'm going to cut myself some slack. 


As of September 9, 2017:
1 complete
incomplete

1. Read 1 script per month 
I want to write more scripts, and I'm a big believer that you should read the types of things you want to write. And I know there are thousands (TENS OF THOUSANDS) of amazing scripts out there that I just haven't gotten to yet. I want to have read 12 new scripts by the time I'm 32. They can be TV episodes, screenplays, plays, etc.
INCOMPLETE (10/12)

September 
X-Files: Season 3, Episode 3 "D.P.O." by Howard Gordon
The Nerd by Larry Shue

October 
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Simon Stephens (adapted from the book by Mark Haddon)
Trifles by Susan Glaspell
The Stronger by August Strindberg

November
Okay, so I didn't quite read one entire script this month. But it was because I was busy memorizing one, writing another, and workshopping a dozen more. So I'm gonna still count that, because I was surrounded by scripts all month. 

December
Uhhhhh...

January
To Kill A Mockingbird by Christopher Sergel, based on the novel by Harper Lee

February
Uhhhhh...

March
Uhhhhh...

April
Punxsutawney by Larry West
The Heart of Robin Hood by David Farr

May
Uhhhhh...

June
A Bundle of Trouble by Ruth Hale

July
Uhhhhh...

August
The Red Bike by Caridad Svitch

September

Uhhhhh...

2. Write a spec script
I have zero intention of publishing or sending out said spec script. I consider it purely an exercise in writing. It's a good way to start--it's kind of like fan fiction. The characters, world, and format already exist...I'm just creating a different story. I'm bowling with the gutter bumpers up, so to speak. I'm thinking "The X-Files"? I'll keep you posted.
INCOMPLETE

3. Complete 1 painting
I've had this on my list before, and I've had a few different ideas for paintings floating around in my head lately. I think I'd like to make one of them a reality this year.
DONE! A few times, actually. Painting of an anatomical heart, a big pink jellyfish, an abstract painting about wonder. 




And as for my new goals...


Something a little different this time around! Because the next chapter of my life is fairly uncertain, I'm going to work on one big goal over the next two years. Here it is: by the time I turn 35, on September 8, 2020, the goal is to have read, watched, or participated in all 37 of Shakespeare's plays. (Note: I'm not starting from the beginning--I'm counting the ones I'm already familiar with

Progress
12/37 
as of June 18, 2018

All's Well That Ends Well

As You Like It

Comedy of Errors

DONE! Played a servant in a production at BYU-Idaho

Love's Labour's Lost

Measure for Measure


Merchant of Venice

DONE! Read during undergrad at BYU-Idaho

Merry Wives of Windsor


Midsummer Night's Dream

DONE! Played Mustardseed in a production at South Medford High School

Much Ado about Nothing
DONE! Watched the film in high school

Taming of the Shrew

DONE! Watched multiple productions and films

Tempest

DONE! Watched a production in high school, played Caliban and designed sound for a children's production at BYU-Idaho, played Gonzalo in a production at BYU-Idaho

Twelfth Night
DONE! Watched the film

Two Gentlemen of Verona

Winter's Tale

Henry IV, Part I


Henry IV, Part II


Henry V

Henry VI, Part I

Henry VI, Part II


Henry VI, Part III


Henry VIII


King John


Pericles


Richard II


Richard III

Antony and Cleopatra

Coriolanus


Cymbeline

Hamlet

DONE! Watched lots of films and productions, read lots of times

Julius Caesar

King Lear

Macbeth

DONE! Watched a handful of productions, played a Witch in a production at BYU-Idaho

Othello

DONE! Read in high school, played Bianca in a production in Salt Lake City

Romeo and Juliet
DONE! Read lots and lots, seen a few productions

Timon of Athens

Titus Andronicus

DONE! Watched a film version

Troilus and Cressida

No comments:

Post a Comment