Friday, December 10, 2004

Good thing it ricocheted...

Good morning, life! It's great to feel like I'm back in reality again. Last night was like an episode of the Twilight Zone. It all started with Jen's indigestion, but it's far too complicated to re-hash the entire story, so if you were there, you know what I'm talking about, and if not, you'll just have to get the story from me later. I don't feel like telling it AGAIN.

My date was fun. We went to Roy's house and had dinner with the other couples, then played scripture pictionary, and Roy taught me q-basic computer programming. It didn't even strike me how nerdy that was until about half-way through the date when I thought. "Hey, I'm on a date and the guy's telling me about computer programming. And I'm actually interested! I'm a big nerd." But it was cool. Nothing phenomenal happened, really. (Except that walking home, I swear to you, I saw Albert from the Strokes! I don't know what he'd be doing on BYU-Idaho campus, but I'm actually seriously entertaining the possibility that it was really him. That's how much this guy looked like him.) But it was fun.

Our apartment did make a new friend last night. Our good buddy, "Couch-Jason" brought a friend over named Piper, and he's really cool. He's got a fabulous sense of humor and is quite Scottish. Between him and Jason, I'm always laughing, but I never really know why...they confuse me a lot and half the time I never know what the heck they're talking about, but it sure is funny. (I'd like to make a quick comment here...until recent years, I've always worked hard to suppress my laugh. But I've decided to give up and when something strikes a funny chord with me, I just let loose with the loudest, most obnoxious laugh in the world. Someone once told me that my laugh reminds them of the horrible annoying lady on "Return to Me" that Bob gets set up with.) Anyway, after a fun-filled evening, we decided to adopt Piper as our own to join Jason. (We're slowly gathering young men into the iron clutches of our dorm...mwa ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!) "And he shall be our Piper."

Another announcement...at last, we are approaching the end of the semester! Actually, I shouldn't say "at last"...it feels a lot more like "already?!" Today will be dedicated to cleaning the dorm top to bottom for the notorious white-glove clean-checks tomorrow morning. ("You'll stay up - till this dump - shines like the top of the Chrysler building!") I went to bed last night with the firm resolution to get up today full of energy and motivation to clean. And this morning, I got up at around 10:30 and I'm not sure what I've been doing all day, because it's 1:00 now and all I've done to clean is fold my pajamas. After I'm done blogging, I suppose I better start cleaning.

Next week is finals week, and will be jam-packed with studying, final projects and papers, tests, packing, making travel arrangements, helping Jen and Aleisha and Kara move, trying to use up our meal plans, and sitting around saying "What the heck! I can't believe it's already Christmas break! What am I going to do without you guys for 2 and 1/2 weeks?" Thank goodness for msn messenger! Wouldn't you agree, Beck? ;)

One last subject and then I've got to burgle and be betty for at least an hour or two. A strange phenomenon has occured since coming up to BYU-Idaho for me. I must be a horrible person, or at least have some complex need for something less than noble. Since coming to BYU-Idaho, I have developed a habit of swearing. I only say the d-word and the h-word and occasionally the a-word, (see, I'm trying to break the habit) but still. Of all places in the world to pick up that habit! Although I know a lot of guys here who picked up a habit of swearing on their missions, which is just as weird if not weirder. I still get irked at the other foul words. And when I swear, it's not part of my normal everyday lexicon. It's only in certain circumstances. When the bell tower goes off, if I get mad at cast or crew I'm working with, or if a night like last night happens and the only thing I can think of the express my confusion and disorientation is "Jen, what in h**l is going on right now?!" I apologize to those who may think less of me with this startling revelation about my character. Believe me, I don't think it's the noblest of characteristics. But here's the worst part...to be completely honest, there's a side of me that finds it really funny. And that side of me is kind of bigger than the side of me that thinks it's awful. I feel guilty, but not about swearing. I feel guilty because swearing itself doesn't make me feel too guilty.

Anyhoo, that's the update on the life of Liz. Ta ta for the present, and remember that men don't jump over moons, but cows do.



PS: Hoorah! For today is Friday, which means FOOD CLUB TONIGHT! This entails eating food, acting like hoodlums (which means flipping our collars up and lighting matches on our hips), and talking about all the cool people we know! We invited Piper and Jason to join our Food Club, but Jason's got himself a little lady-friend now, so I wonder if we're going to see him as often as we did before. Sadness. But there's always food!

PPS: In the title of this blog...is that how you spell "ricocheted"? As in to bounce off of something?



1 comment: