Hello blogosphere. I haven't written in a while, but I have read a lot of your blogs, so I'm going to steal the idea for this entry from fellow blogger James, and take a moment to reveal a few deep, dark, embarrassing things about myself and my past.
1. I used to be hopelessly infatuated with Ryan Gosling. When I was 13 and he was 18, he was the star of “Young Hercules,” and when I found out he was LDS, I was certain that we were going to be married. While I’ve grown out of my infatuation (and while he's grown out of being LDS), I still claim that the man’s talent far exceeds his recognition. (And that he’s still gorgeous.)
2. At one point in my childhood, I owned over 100 “Baby-sitter’s Club” books. I still remember all of the names and personalities of each of the characters. Dawn and Claudia were my favorites. I was and still am slightly intimidated by Kristi.
3. During my short stint of non-activity in the Church, I was Wiccan. As in I practiced the art of witchcraft. A friend from school introduced me and we used to do spells at her house after school, while her parents were gone. Mostly white wicca, but when I started getting into dark, I had some scary experiences and decided to go back to church.
4. I played dress-up/pretend games in complete seriousness until my early teens. At age 14, I still put on layers of skirts, folded a lacy place-mat over my head as a bonnet, and pushed a wheelbarrow around the backyard, pretending I was a pioneer. Now, I have absolutely NO enthusiasm for pioneer stories or celebrations. I guess I met my quota of pioneer enthusiasm early.
5. From the time I was about 11 to the time I was about 16, I had a large collection of incense, and loved to have a stick burning in my room. I liked the smell, but most of the attraction was watching the smoke curl into the air in interesting patterns.
6. I dyed my hair blue for a day in high school, without my parents EVER finding out.
7. I really like studying people’s hands, and their feet. Most often, people’s hands and feet “match,” so I like to look at people’s hands and try and guess what their feet look like. I really like when my guesses turn out to be accurate.
8. Most of my childhood life was spent in eager anticipation of being a “teenager.” I couldn’t wait to get a perm, drive a car, kiss a boyfriend, and have a different teacher for each subject. The day I got my locker (in 8th grade) was one of the happiest days of my life up to that point.
9. I have a love affair with banjo music.
10. I can state, in honesty, from experience, that kissing a smoker is absolutely nothing like licking an ashtray. Actually, I guess I can't honestly say that, having never licked an ashtray, so I suppose I can’t really compare the two. But I have kissed a smoker before, and it was nothing like what I imagine licking an ashtray would be like.
11. I stole a small lock and key from a Target when I was about 7. I’m not sure what the appeal was, but my Mom ended up finding it the next day. She took me back to the store, made me return the lock and key, and apologize in person to the manager. The experience was strong enough to have scared me away from any desire or impulse to steal ever again.
12. There are certain musical artists whom I love, but always feel reluctant to let others know of my love for them. Singers that I adore, sort of “in spite of myself.” So I divulge, here and now, that my musical indulgences are Fergie, Bobby Darin, and Gwen Stefani.