Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The post where Liz gets domestic


I consider myself a pretty domestic person. Domestic like "look at pretty living rooms on pinterest" and a little less like "let's clean the bathroom," but between my husband and me, we have a pretty tasteful and tidy living space. And I've recently discovered that I really enjoy cooking, if I don't do it when I'm hungry. So today, I'm gonna share a recipe of a little dessert that Jacob and I usually eat all of in one sitting.

(For any new readers, just so you know what you're getting into, this isn't the kind of thing I usually post. But if you're interested in documentaries, smarts, and that time I went to Rome, stick around!)

Anyway, today, I threw an apron over my Star Trek t-shirt, put on Tom Waits' album "Swordfishtrombones,"* and documented making these amazing little apple tartlets.


You will need:
1 apple (your choice on what kind; I used a Braeburn)
1 canister Pillsbury crescent seamless dough sheet
butter
flour
some kind of brown sugar/cinnamon crumb topping (Okay, on this one, I kind of cheat. I use the cinnamon topping that comes with the Krusteaz Cinnamon Crumb Cake. There's always some left over, so I just use that. But there are dozens of crumb toppings you could use. Just google it or something.)


1. Peel, core, and dice the apple into bitty pieces.

2. Roll the dough out, thinking briefly of this:
...and then use a cookie cutter or large glass to make circles out of the dough, around 3 and 1/2 inches in diameter.

 3. Grease a muffin tin, then use your hands to smoosh the circles into each cup. (I spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out how to phrase this particular instruction. I finally gave up. And the spellcheck isn't recognizing the word "smoosh." Or the word "spellcheck.")
 

4. Fill the cups with the apple pieces, and add a little dab of butter to each one.

5. Sprinkle each tartlet with crumb topping.

6. Bake at 300 degrees for 15 - 18 minutes, or until the visible dough edges are golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream. Or just eat. All at once.

ENJOY!



*That song "Trouble's Braids"** from Swordfishtrombones? I want to choreograph a modern dance number to that song. If someone else wants to do it, go ahead. But you have to put it on youtube, and it has to look the way it does in my head.
** I think this "music video" is silly. But the song is awesome.

3 comments: