Friday, September 16, 2005

I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps!



Okay, kids, it's official! I am going to New York City in 8 days! I was scared for a long time that the financial situation wouldn't work out, but it has! Barely, but at this point, I don't care.
I can't even begin to describe my excitement and happiness. I'm probably going to repeat myself a lot in this blog, but I'm not exactly thinking clearly. I am going to New York City, and not only that, but I'm going with wonderful people I love! Okay, 2 lists, here we go...

People who are going:
Erika, JD, Ben, Kjersti, Kristi, Mallory, the Merrill family, Bro. Clifford, Cameron, Mindy, and Christian. And a few other people that I don't know as well, but like a lot from what I know.

What I'm doing:
Check it out. We couldn't get group tickets for a lot of shows, because they're either just too hard to get into, or because we're going under the banner of "BYU-Idaho," we didn't think it was a good idea. Or both. Not terrible shows, but shows that may have one little part in them or something. Ben, JD, and the Merrills found this genius website where you could find tickets to shows that are SOLD OUT. They take the few scattered seats that may be open for some reason or other and try to get you the best ones for no more expensive than you would pay otherwise. Through that, a lot of us got tickets to shows that we didn't think we could. Here's my own schedule:

Sat, 9/23
Drive down to Salt Lake City

Sun, 9/24
Fly out of SLC to arrive in NYC

Mon, 9/25
With a few friends: See evening show of the off-broadway show "Altar Boyz" (Non-LDS equivalent to "Sons of Provo" in the style of "Forever Plaid")

Tuesday, 9/26
With entire group: See evening show of "Wicked" with a tentative backstage tour and talk with cast and crew

Wednesday, 9/27 (I'm really excited about this day!)
With a few friends: See matinee show of "Spamalot"!!!!
THEN,
With a few friends: See evening show of "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee"!!!

Thursday, 9/28
With entire group: See evening show of "Lion King" with tentative talks with cast (tour of theatre scheduled some other time this week that I can't remember)

Friday, 9/29
No definite plans that I know of...I think I want to leave this night open. It will be our last night in the city, so I think I'll leave it free to do anything I didn't get to do yet. What I'd really like to do is just take the night to wander the city. Just to explore and walk around and soak up the city. *Sigh*

Saturday, 9/30
Fly back home

Wow. Also planned as a group are visits to Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, some other exciting places, and lots of yummy places to eat. JD, Christian, and I also want to visit Hell's Kitchen. Normally that'd be kind of scary, but I'll be with Christian and JD.
Okay, I'm about to go into, like, acceptance-speech-mode, but I can't talk about this trip without mentioning the miracles that have taken place in order for me to go. My financial situation was such that I wasn't sure if I would be able to go on this trip. I've been working 30 hours a week WHILE going to school full-time, which is just a little stressful, but it's worth it. I was still struggling, though, with finances and the stress and working sundays and trying to readjust to school and life again. So I asked a dear friend of mine to give me a Priesthood blessing. He blessed me with guidance and physical and emotional strength and made many promises regarding my finances. It was just what I needed, and was such a strengthening experience! Please don't misunderstand...I don't feel I can explain the entire private, sacred reasons I want to go to New York. It sounds so...worldly, but it really is a righteous desire and I just don't feel I can explain it in words on a public blog. Anyway, since that blessing, I've turned in my late tithing and worked twice as hard to work out my going on this trip. And everything started coming together! First, each of us going were awarded $400 in financial aid from the Performing Arts Society at school. Then Mom, who was planning on sending me money throughout the year, agreed to send it all now. Then, it turned out I have more money in savings than I thought. And everything else has just fallen into place. There's still this tiny part of me that refuses to believe it's possible that I'm going; I'm terrified something will go wrong and all my hopes and plans will be dashed. It won't hit me until I'm packed and on my way.
I'll just say that I'm so grateful that I have access to the blessings of the Priesthood and for worthy young men who are ready and willing to excercise it. (Thanks, JD.)
I think in closing, the words of a popular Broadway muscial (which I'm going to see) would be appropriate:

EV’RY WAY
THAT YOU LOOK IN THIS CITY
THERE’S SOMETHING EXQUISITE
YOU’LL WANT TO VISIT
BEFORE THE DAY’S THROUGH!
THERE ARE BUILDINGS TALL AS QUOXWOOD TREES
DRESS SALONS
AND LIBRARIES
PALACES!
MUSEUMS!
A HUNDRED STRONG …
THERE ARE WONDERS LIKE I’VE NEVER SEEN
IT’S ALL GRAND
AND IT’S ALL GREEN
I THINK WE’VE FOUND THE PLACE WHERE WE BELONG!
I WANNA BE
IN THIS HOI POLLOI
SO I’LL BE BACK FOR GOOD SOMEDAY
TO MAKE MY LIFE AND MAKE MY WAY
BUT FOR TODAY, WE’LL WANDER AND ENJOY …
AND WE’RE WARNING THE CITY:
NOW THAT WE’RE IN HERE
YOU’LL KNOW WE’VE BEEN HERE
BEFORE WE ARE DONE!

Okay, maybe New York City isn't all green, but I don't know, I've never been there. Anyway, love you all, and for those of you who are members of the Church, PAY YOUR TITHING, HAVE RIGHTEOUS DESIRES AND BELIEVE THAT THE LORD CAN DO ANYTHING!

PS: Oh oh oh!!! Reminder, Monday, Sept. 19th is National Talk Like a Pirate Day! Everyone observe this fabulous holiday, me hearties!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry my html is a little screwy there with the "Altar Boys" and "Wicked" links...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I want to be you. Though we already discussed the implications of us switching bodies, I still am jealous. Take a bazillion pictures and send them to me! Love you and have tons and tons of fun! But call me before you go!

    ReplyDelete