Saturday, May 19, 2007

Where are my jujubees? I can't find my jujubees!

klondike_burning_small
I had a fun talk tonight about all the old-school computer games we all used to play back in the day. Which inspired me to write this blog. And I totally stole this idea for a blog entry from Willie. Woot for syntax text-only adventure games.

You find yourself sitting awake in bed.

>Check clock

It is 2:01 in the morning

>inventory

You have your roomate's computer, your phone, and a stuffy nose.

>Blow nose

You need a tissue to do that.

>Get tissue

You can't get a tissue from here.

>Screw blowing nose

Okay.

>I'm bored.

I don't understand that command.

>Entertain me.

I don't understand that command.

>Make observations about current situation.

You are single. You are thirsty. You are an insomniac.

>Change relationship status.

You need to choose a person to do that.

>Select Guybrush Threepwood as companion.

Guybrush Threepwood is an imaginary character.

>Select Al Pacino as companion.

Don't be stupid.

>Get a drink.

You get up and pour yourself a glass of water. You get out powdered energy drink and add 4 scoops. You drink the glass in one gulp.

>Go to sleep.

You have gone to sleep.


We had some good games, didn't we? To close, here's my little pictorial ode to the computer games of my youth:

Somehow this game was actually really entertaining...Mom and Dad, you guys were the masters at good ole StuntCopter!
StuntCopterSE

In later versions of the game below, I always had this moral dilemma...do I choose the Oregon Trail or the Mormon Trail? As an LDS Oregonian, I was always like "Where do my loyalties lie?"
oregon trail

Dah-nah-naaahhh! Dah-dah-dah-nah-naaaaaahhh!
Dark_Castle_-_Trouble_3

World Wide Travel, we send you ANYWHERE!
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego Deluxe3

It also occured to me in the course of the conversation about computer games that you know your family is a little nerdy when you quote both movies AND computer games. (Hey Whittakers..."Want some rye? Course ya do! Here's to us! Who's like us! And we're all dead.")

boos

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled in here from the bookie club, only to be pleased to find screen shots from the classic Mac games of my youth. Dark Castle...how that game changed my life completely. On a related note, a friend of mine and I were recently chewing up the virtues of old Mac games on her blog. The entry might bring back some memories for you, as it did for me

    Great blog.

    ReplyDelete