Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Allison, I feel a portion of your pain...


It's ironic that I'm sharing this news on the internet. Via a computer. Good thing there's not much to do in the English Department today...
So, the dreaded technological event has happened. I've never had a problem with a Macintosh my entire life, and this weekend, the worst problem made itself manifest. That's right. THE dreaded technological event.

My hard drive is gone.

Not entirely. I hope.

I was planning on getting a new computer in September anyway, with my extra financial aid. I need one with a superdrive, and the latest operating system is always nice. I was just planning on being able to transfer everything, and give Beckah my old one. I guess we're moving on to Plan B.

Starting from scratch.

I'm over the initial knock-the-wind-out-of-you shock and horror, and I've decided that it could be worse, and that perhaps this is a blessing in disguise.

CON: I'm pretty broke this semester, so I simply don't have the means to replace the hard-drive or pay for file recovery until September. Therefore, I shall have to go without a personal computer for the last three weeks of school.
PRO: There are computers at work and at the library.
PRO: There are only 3 weeks left of school.

CON: I don't know what can be recovered, including current fictional works in progress. Like my screenplay!!!!
PRO: I just backed up my pictures, and most of them are on facebook anyway.
PRO: I just synced my iPod, and I have an external charger. So I can still at least LISTEN to my music. And though it might take some doing, I'm SURE there's a way to get those tunes back onto a computer eventually.

CON: I can't connect to friends who are far away quite as easily or immediately, via facebook, namely.
PRO: There are always cell phones.
PRO: There is always the US Postal Service. And e-mail. And facebook occasionally.

I spent this afternoon in tired, hungry, and somewhat hopeless frustration. An order of nachos, a trip to the library, and a stern self-talking-to later, I've decided that it really isn't THAT bad, and that all will be well, and that this IS a blessing in disguise!

Instead of spending hours on my computer, I can spend hours with books, in the great outdoors, with friends, doing chores, etc. etc. I'm sure I'll discover that I actually have time for all those things if I let them replace the somewhat less worthwhile time I spend staring at a screen.

I say as I type this up online.

I value technology. I think its an incredible tool that can forge connections in ways we couldn't have dreamed of even 5 years ago. I'm not ashamed of blogging, facebooking, emailing, etc. And a personal laptop sure makes homework a breeze! But maybe the Lord's trying to let me know that my priorities need re-examining. Or something.

We'll see how it goes.

4 comments:

  1. Liz I feel your pain. Last summer I was talking to my mom on the phone and surfing the net at the same time, when my computer unexpectedly slowed down until it was little more than a putt-putt. Then it didn't turn back on.

    I went for a month or so without a computer, all while working for Bro. Brugger on some projects during the seven week break. It was rough. I had to do all my interneting on campus. Ahhhh well. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Liz. After having just gone through this, I can't think of anything to say other than that--because nothing I say will actually fix the problem. Just know that I sympathize, understand, and really hope that you're able to recover your files and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woah! what hapenned??!?!?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little iBook (circa 2005) lost its hard drive in '07. Luckily, I had a friend/home teacher that replaced it for me for $40 bucks. I was very grateful. Then the cable that hooks the back light to the screen snapped... no ibook again. It's been that way for a year, and we already have a new laptop... but I miss all my pictures and music and everything on there! I'm sure my old hard drive has SO MUCH that I have forgotten even existed. File recovery costs an arm and a leg... is it worth it? The world may never know.

    Long story short... I feel your pain, sister... and I miss my mac, too.

    ReplyDelete